Creating a Sense of Self: Optimism
Article by Dr Bob
Fact: children are naturally optimistic.
We naturally become more “realistic” as we get older till we get to a natural balance.
We live in a pessimistic society—bad news sells and advertisers have found that they can use people’s fear—particularly of ostracism—to sell products
Steps to become more optimistic:
- Surround yourself with optimistic people
- Insist on praise both for what you do well and for who you are. praise for what you do well gives you a sense of competence and self-esteem which are necessary for happiness
- Call all criticism. Criticism is always about power and powerlessness leads to depression and pessimism
- Take time to explore your own spirituality. Studies show that people with a firm sense of spirituality are far more optimistic.
- Take time to make regular contact with nature – a twenty minute walk in the park, or even petting a dog or stroking a cat can make you less pessimistic
- Don’t watch depressing TV shows, or reality shows where people get ostracized.
- Take part in regular exercise, especially walking
- Keep a record of all the good things that have happened to you each day